[CentOS] How to change Disk sequence on DELL R900 CENTOS 5.3?

Ross Walker rswwalker at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 15:59:16 UTC 2009

2009/7/1 mcclnx mcc <mcclnx at yahoo.com.tw>:

> Thank you for answer.
>
> I change /etc/fstab and using UUID instead of LABEL.  after reboot, UUID did NOT change disk sequence back to what I want.  Boot device original /dev/sda1, it still /dev/sdc1 NO change.

Modify modprobe.conf to list the disk driver you want loaded in the
order you want then re-make the initrd file:

For example, say you want your internal SATA disks recognized before
your SAS RAID disks, your modprobe for the scsi_hostadapter would look
something like this:

alias scsi_hostadapter ata_piix (or ahci, sata_XXX whatever your SATA
controller is)
alias scsi_hostadapter0 megaraid_sas

Then you remake your initrd with a command:

mkinitrd -f /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)

Remember to use LABELs or UUIDs in fstab first or your partitions
won't mount (wrong disk names)!

Then reboot.

-Ross