[CentOS] OT: Linux WYSIWYG HTML Editors

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 20:19:04 UTC 2009

Hi Lanny,

> Gary: The KompoZer web site says the .8 alpha4 version is much more
> stable on Linux than the current version,

Actually they say the 0.8 branch (not specifically alpha4 version) is
more stable than the 0.7 branch.

> but I don't see an SRPM available.

Indeed there is none for 0.8a4, but there is one for 0.8a3:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kompozer/files/kompozer/kompozer-0.8a3-fc10-src.rpm

See all files here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kompozer/files/

OTOH, I believe building this from source might become very tricky,
since it is based on Mozilla code I can only guess the nightmare of
dependencies to get it done... Although less than ideal, you might
have more luck just downloading and unpacking the binary pre-compiled
packages which should have all the libraries prepared to work in an
alternate path under a directory such as /opt or /usr/local.

But if you manage to build the SRPM for 0.8a3, building one for 0.8a4
should be only the matter of downloading the latest source tarball and
changing the version number inside the specfile, I wouldn't expect
more than that since the differences should be small.

> They show an RPM someone contributed for FC10, but not a
> SRPM. This is the first update for KompoZer in about 20 months.

0.8a3 seems to be only a couple of weeks older than 0.8a4.

HTH,
Filipe