[CentOS] Dag's comment at linuxtag

Didi ribalba at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 08:30:51 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 7:45 PM, Akemi Yagi<amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 7:58 AM, Bogdan Nicolescu<bo2k2 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> >From http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090629
>>
>> "....Right next to the Gentoo stand was a group of young people, proudly displaying their affiliation with CentOS.
>> Dag Wieers, the well-known maintainer of a once very popular RPM
>> repository, greeted me with a big smile: "Do you know CentOS?" When I
>> introduced myself, he looked somewhat disappointed: "Oh, so you know CentOS..." Still, we found a lot to talk about. "Yes, CentOS is often
>> considered a server operating system," explained Dag, "but we are
>> trying to change that. In fact, the latest release has many up-to-date
>> desktop packages and we also have an extra repository with many
>> application and drivers that are not officially part of Red Hat
>> Enterprise Linux (RHEL)." He asserted: "CentOS can be a perfect system
>> for those who need long-term stability and who don't want to take
>> frequent and potentially risky upgrade paths." ...."
>
> A serious doubt has been raised about the credibility of that story.
> Did the reporter indeed meet Dag at the CentOS booth?  Or was it at a
> nearby pub?

Hahah. I was there when they where talking and I can confirm that it
was at the booth and everyone was sober.

> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2558/3679382429_d535f79823_o.jpg
> (info offered by NedSlider)

Have a look at the time the photo was taken. The booth only opened at
10 and the photo was taken before. Maybe subscribe to the promo list
where this was discussed. Funny that such accusations are coming out
of the community.

Cheers Didi