[CentOS] Replicate desktop configuration for other users using /etc/skel

Niki Kovacs

contact at kikinovak.net
Fri Jul 3 17:43:56 UTC 2009

Hi,

The subject says it all. I'd like to copy my own custom desktop
configuration for other users on the machine without having to go
manually through the hassle.

Here's a non-exhaustive list of what I usually tweak :

* Theme + icons
* background image
* panel
* screensaver
* Nautilus behaviour
* Handling of removable devices
* Gnome Terminal
* Gnome Dictionary (french servers)
* GEdit options

And so on...

I used to do this before, a few years ago, when I was a Slackware user,
but only with KDE (or XFCE on older hardware). Usually it boiled down to
copy the relevant hidden directory trees (.kde/ or .config) to /etc/skel
before creating new users.

Would something similar work with GNOME? And if so, what are the
relevant hidden configuration directories to copy over?

Cheers,

Niki