[CentOS] yum install hangs

Carlos Santana neubyr at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 22:06:03 UTC 2009

Thanks Niki.

More specifically it hangs after:
Downloading Packages:
Running rpm_check_debug
Running Transaction Test

If I did yum clean all while app. is running then I get following message:
[root at localhost ~]# yum clean all
Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running as pid 17097.
Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...

If pid file is removed then I can do clean all, however the processes
still exist:
[root at localhost ~]# rm /var/run/yum.pid
rm: remove regular file `/var/run/yum.pid'? y
[root at localhost ~]# yum clean all
Cleaning up Everything
[root at localhost ~]# ps ax | grep -i yum*
16794 ?        S      0:05 /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/yum install lsof
17097 pts/1    S+     0:04 /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/yum install lsof
17137 pts/2    S+     0:00 grep -i yum*

Any clues?

-
CS