[CentOS] Is there an openssh security problem?

Ray Van Dolson rayvd at bludgeon.org
Tue Jul 7 20:36:33 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 10:31:36PM +0200, Geoff Galitz wrote:
> > is there a security issue on CentOS 5.3 with openssh 4.3?
>
> If this is a real zero-day exploit.. then yes, there is an issue.  The
> following link may be the best source of information at the moment:
>
> http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=6742
>

> FWIW, I think the second comment about RHEL/Centos in the referenced post is
> a little off-base.  After all, you have to know that a bug exists before you
> can fix it.

This link[1] seems to show a RHEL 5.3 machine being exploited (could be
wrong though).  Not sure which version of the openssh-server package it
is however beyond the base 4.3.

And a post[2] by a RH engineer to the openssh list.

Ray

[1] http://secer.org/hacktools/0day-openssh-remote-exploit.html
[2] http://marc.info/?l=openssh-unix-dev&m=124699121213120&w=2