[CentOS] Looking for recommendations for blocking hacking attempts

Ron Loftin reloftin at twcny.rr.com
Thu Jul 9 15:16:00 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-09 at 09:56 -0500, Neil Aggarwal wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I have been looking into projects that will automatically
> restrict hacking attempts on my servers running CentOS 5.
>
> I think the two top contenders are:
> 	DenyHosts - http://denyhosts.sourceforge.net
> 	Fail2ban - http://www.fail2ban.org
>
> >From what I see, DenyHosts only blocks based on failed
> SSH attempts whereas Fail2ban blocks failed attempts
> for other access as well.

That is incorrect.  Denyhosts has a config option named "BLOCK_SERVICE"
which can be set to "ALL".  Check out the description included in the
sample config file.

I have been using Denyhosts for at least 3 years now, and been satisfied
enough with it that I have not gone looking for alternatives, so I can't
rationally compare it with Fail2ban.  I have seen numerous reports on
the Web of people being happy with Fail2ban, so I guess it comes down to
which one you are comfortable with.

The only other observation I have is that most of my machines have very
few services exposed to the Internet.  Most services on my
Internet-facing boxes are either disabled or limited by firewall rules,
so the Denyhosts/Fail2ban layer gets less work.  I suggest that you
critically evaluate the services you choose to make available to the
'Net from a similar viewpoint.

Just my $0.02 (US) worth. ;>