[CentOS] nfs (v3?) fails to allow writes and permission changes

Rob Kampen

rkampen at kampensonline.com
Mon Jul 13 19:47:08 UTC 2009

Hi All,
I have an nfs mount from my CentOS 5.3 client to a CentOS5.3 server.
This has been functioning correctly for some years.
Beginning last week I had problems saving OpenOffice documents onto the
nfs mounted volume.
OpenOffice just times out with a file io error.
So I tried just a simple shell - cd to the mounted volume did a vi
create of text file - no problems.
tried a chmod +w on an owned file - returned okay but no change to the
permissions when checked with ls -l
tried sudo chmod +w on the same file and get
[rkampen at robsws p_494]$ sudo chmod +w 5887_cover.pdf
Password:
chmod: changing permissions of `5887_cover.pdf': Operation not permitted
yet using gnome file browser I can change permissions on these nfs
mounted files just fine - go figure.

This did work in the past - so what has changed?
how do I check what version of nfs is actually working?

 [rkampen at robsws p_494]$ mount
192.168.230.230:/NDG on /NDG type nfs (rw,noatime,intr,addr=192.168.230.230)

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Rob