[CentOS] nfs (v3?) fails to allow writes and permission changes

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 20:42:30 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 16:32, Rob Kampen<rkampen at kampensonline.com> wrote:
> BTW
> chmod +w file.doc
> only changes permissions for owner and group - world is left untouched, not
> what I remembered, I guess some man reading coming my way.

>From "man chmod":

"If none of these are given, the effect is as if ‘a’ were given, but
bits that are set in the umask are not affected."

That means it will set all if your umask is "0". As your umask will
probably be either "022" or "002", it will set write permissions to
only user or only user+group respectively.

HTH,
Filipe