[CentOS] NIC traffic monitoring, recording and reporting software?

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Thu Jul 16 16:18:21 UTC 2009

On: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 16:22:51 -0400, Filipe Brandenburger
<filbranden at gmail.com> wrote:

> Have a look at "netacct-mysql":
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/netacct-mysql/
>
> It uses pcap which puts your network card in promiscuous mode
> and send all packets to the running daemon, which might be a
> little heavyweight on the resources if your server uses a lot
> of network, but it appears to be very flexible in terms of
> being able to split accounting for different traffic going
> through the server.
>
> If you want something simpler than that, you may:
>
> HTH,
> Filipe

I get the digest version of the list and so my relay is a tad late.
Thank you for this.  I am rapidly discovering that snmp and mrtg may
not really suit my purposes as the NIC seemingly lacks the requisite
smarts.  Your suggestions are most helpful.  Thanks.

Canada  L8E 3C3