[CentOS] CentOS on IBM Bladecenter HS21

Andrei F frunzales at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 15:50:30 UTC 2009

Hi,

I've configured my servers as described here:

http://prefetch.net/blog/index.php/2009/07/06/using-kdump-to-get-core-files-on-fedora-and-centos-hosts/

When I try to start the kdump service via service kdump start, I get the
following warnings:

[root at lweb2 boot]# service kdump start
No kdump initial ramdisk found.                            [WARNING]
Rebuilding /boot/initrd-2.6.18-92.1.22.el5kdump.img
Starting kdump:
[FAILED]

First of all I like the idea of automatically building an initrd image with
kdump support, but
I also need MPP support. Just to give you an example, this is how both
machines are booting up:

title RDAC CentOS (2.6.18-92.1.22.el5) with MPP
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-92.1.22.el5 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
initrd /mpp-2.6.18-92.1.22.el5.img

At this point I'm wondering how to generate an initrd image with mpp & kdump
support.

Also /var/log/messages gives me this:

Jul 17 11:42:27 lweb2 kdump: No crashkernel parameter specified for running
kernel
Jul 17 11:42:27 lweb2 kdump: failed to start up

I assume that once the server is being rebooted with the correct kernel
arguments like
crashkernel=128M at 16M and the correct initrd with mpp & kdump support the
service
should start just fine.

Regards,

-Andrei