[CentOS] SSH without password on CentOS 5 ?

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Mon Jul 20 16:36:27 UTC 2009

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: [CentOS] SSH without password on CentOS 5 ?
From: Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>
Date: Monday, July 20, 2009 11:21:28 AM
> On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 9:14 AM, Niki Kovacs<contact at kikinovak.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to use SSH without password so I can use it in scripts (for
>> example in combination with rsync to do backups). I have Carla
>> Schroder's "Linux Cookbook" and I'm trying out the various receipts, but
>> the one for SSH without a password doesn't work. The book is slightly
>> dated, and I wonder if SSH included in CentOS works differently.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>

> Maybe this CentOS wiki helps?
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Network/SecuringSSH#head-9c5717fe7f9bb26332c9d67571200f8c1e4324bc
>
> Akemi

If you follow the guides step by step they usually work fine. But most
gloss over the end permissions/ownership. It is important (won't work
without it) that you ensure that the .ssh directory and its contents are
owned by the account in which these files reside... to explain it a
different way: If the authorized key files are in /home/bob/.ssh, the
.ssh directory and its files should be owned by bob. The .ssh directory
should have 700 permissions and any files within it 600.

-Blake