[CentOS] PCI modems

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Jul 23 13:04:20 UTC 2009

> Hi all,
>

> I'm currently searching for a PCI modem that will be used to receive faxes. I've tried out a few modems but they all use conexant chipsets, which need out-of-tree kernel drivers and currently doesn't work here (kernel oops when the installation script modprobes the driver).
>
> Does anyone know of a PCI modem that works out of the box with in-tree kernel drivers?

Does it *have* to be a PCI (internal) modem?  Except for a few *very
expensive* ones (3Com/US Robotics *used* to make one I think), they are
all 'controllerless' modems (aka 'winmodems'). Controllerless modems
are poorly support under Linux, and there is little or no motivation
for the kernel developers to bother supporting them.  It might actually
be easier to get an old ISA modem card (off eBay), except modern
computers don't have ISA busses anymore :-).

It would actually be cheaper (and far easier) to get an *external*
RS232 modem.  At worst you'll need a serial port card (Lava's PCI
serial port cards are quite  well supported).  In effect the
combination of a Lava PCI serial port card and a RS232 modem would be a
PCI modem, although the 'modem' itself would be external.