[CentOS] bizarre firefox/X11 problem on centos 5.3

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri Jul 24 15:57:20 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 05:05:36PM -0700, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 4:51 PM, fred
> smith<fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:
> > I set up a Centos5 box at work a week or two ago. Today I had this
> > bizarre, repeatable problem:
> >
> > fire up firefox 3.5.1, browse to centos.org, go to the wiki, click the
> > HOWTO button at the top of the page, and either at that point, or a
> > moment later when clicking the link for the RAID documents, KABOOOOMMM!!!
> > X dies and you return to a login prompt. I did it at least three times.
>
> > Never seen that before, anybody else experienced it?
>
> Yes.  Please see these (long) threads:
>
> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2009-July/079046.html
>
> and
>
> http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=21070&forum=37
>
> Akemi

One of those threads includes a message from Olaf Mueller in which he suggests
adding this stuff (below) to Section "Device" in your xorg.conf:

	Option 	"AccelMethod" "XAA"
	Option	"XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"

I did add it, and have not been able to reproduce the crash since.

I'm not sure what that does to performance, if anything.

  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding