[CentOS] Open Letter to Lance Davis

Farkas Levente lfarkas at lfarkas.org
Thu Jul 30 13:40:52 UTC 2009

On 07/30/2009 02:34 PM, Jim Perrin wrote:
> I'd personally like to hear what the community has to say about this,
> as it's not just an internal matter. Please speak up so that we know
> where the community stands on this. I'd rather be wrong, but know how
> people feel than take a stand for a community who has other ideas.

this's not the only thing (but may be one of the most dangerous). i also
like to know who are responsible for what is the community?:
- who are the centos-3 updates maintainers
- who are the centos-4 updates maintainers
- who are the centos-5 updates maintainers
- who will be the centos-6 maintainers
- who are qa team
- who are responsible for the centos.org domain and dns (ok lance)
- who are responsible for the website, wiki, mailing list
- how has root access to the hardware infrastructure
and i hope none of the above is a single element set:-)

- what is the hardware infrastructure of centos team
- is there any cvs, svn, git for the development why not public
- how the release and update build process look like
- can we see the build farm status, build logs etc.
- what is the qa process

all of these information cab be put up to the wiki in a few hours by
those who know the answers.

if these and may be a few other question can be public and clean to the
community we can arrange resources and probably can speed up the updates
and release process. eg. i'm very interesting how long will it take the
5.4 release (as we all remember how can one man can stop the whole 5.3
release process and no one like to repeat it again).