[CentOS] Open Letter to Lance Davis

Ron Blizzard rb4centos at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 18:55:15 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 1:12 PM, Marcus Moeller<mail at marcus-moeller.de> wrote:

> But please note: CentOS itself has a clear strategy which means
> upstream compatibility. Nothing more and nothing less. No focus on
> specialized systems (which does not mean you can create a custom spin
> for an specific purpose, e.g. a CentOS netbook spin)

This is one of the reasons I chose CentOS -- specifically because it
is a Red Hat "rebuild" with upstream compatibility. Although, in my
opinion, CentOS stands on its own -- I figured it was a plus that
while I was learning CentOS I was also learning Red Hat. I first found
CentOS via Trixbox and asterisk (I'm a Nortel phone tech with interest
in asterisk). As it turns out a career change may be forced on me --
so I'm now studying to take the Red Hat Technician (or Engineering)
certification exams to augment my resume. It has been a huge head
start to have been using "Red Hat" for the past year and a half.

So, I guess, this is just a vote for keeping CentOS "as is." Although
I think community rebuild projects would be cool also.

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.3