[CentOS] Open Letter to Lance Davis

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Fri Jul 31 19:45:21 UTC 2009

Since 2004 or so, I have donated each year to the CentOS project, at
the requested rate, for each of our servers. While I never really
gave the matter any thought (fool that I am) I presumed that any
organisation that solicited funds would, at a minimum, be
incorporated, have a board of directors, duly appointed officers and
hold all corporate identity elements such as internet domain names,
brand trademarks and such as corporate property.

Evidently, my beliefs in this matter were sadly unfounded.

Now, I appreciate that whilst somewhat embarrassing, the immediate
matter is easily resolved, turning as it does on retention or
depreciation of the centos.org domain.  Presumably those who donated
bandwidth and servers to the CentOS.old project will in the main
continue to support the CentOS.new project. Equally, unless some
injury that has not yet come to light has been done to them, it
seems likely that most of the current maintainers will move their
loyalties and future technical contributions to CentOS.new.

However, having been bitten once, I feel that I must ask this more
formal question.  What steps, if any, have been taken to establish
the CentOS project as a separate legal entity distinct from any
individual contributor? What protections are being put in place to
prevent future misappropriations of donations and advertising
revenue, even if it turns out that no such thing has as yet
happened?

Sincerely,