[CentOS] Open Letter to Lance Davis

Ron Blizzard rb4centos at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 20:32:20 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 2:45 PM, James B. Byrne<byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca> wrote:

> However, having been bitten once, I feel that I must ask this more
> formal question.  What steps, if any, have been taken to establish
> the CentOS project as a separate legal entity distinct from any
> individual contributor? What protections are being put in place to
> prevent future misappropriations of donations and advertising
> revenue, even if it turns out that no such thing has as yet
> happened?

Okay, I'm a mere CentOS desktop user (at this point) but I'm curious
as to how *you've* been "bitten" here? While it's true that your
donation money apparently did not go to the project as  intended, it's
also true that you've still received a solid and continuously updated
OS (as paid for). So, even though it is regretful that the ability of
the CentOS project to promote its distribution has been hampered -- I
can't see where you've, personally, suffered any damage.

It seems to me the ones "bitten" here, are those who have donated so
much of their own time developing and maintaining CentOS. But despite
the handicap this situation has imposed on them, they are still
providing a great distribution.

I do agree that, going forward, everything will become more
"transparent" -- but I think that's the general goal and the reason
for the open letter in the first place.

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.3