[CentOS] External SATA enclosures: SiI3124 and CentOS 5?

Benjamin Smith

lists at benjamindsmith.com
Mon Jun 1 21:57:45 UTC 2009

Tired of "little problems" trying to keep 7 drives working in an old desktop
computer, I'm considering an external SATA drive enclosure with a controller
card based on the Sil3124.
http://www.ipcdirect.net/servlet/Detail?no=152

I'm a bit concerned about long-term support, namely that the company's driver
page only lists drivers through RedHat 4.
http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=27&cat=3

Does anybody else have experience with this controller? How has it been for
you?

If you have experience with an external SATA enclosure(s), what did you use
and how did it work for you?

Thanks,

Ben

believed to be clean.