[CentOS] truecrypt & kernel 2.6.24

Rudi Ahlers

rudiahlers at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 06:18:29 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Has anyone used TrueCrypt on a XEN based machine before? I'm running
CentOS 5.3 with kernel 2.6.18 but when I launch TrueCrypt, it keeps on
telling me I need kernel 2.6.24 or later.

"Your system uses an old version of the Linux Kernel.

Due to a bug in the Linux Kernel, your system may stop responding when
writing data to a TrueCrypt volume. This problem can be solved by
upgrading the kernel version to 2.6.24 or later"

Now, the CentOS repositories doesn't have 2.6.24, so do I have to
build the kernel manually? And will there be any problems when doing
so? I like to just run "yum update" when needed.

Here's the output from the machine:

Linux zaxen02.lan 2.6.18-92.1.18.el5xen #1 SMP Wed Nov 12 09:48:10 EST
2008 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers