[CentOS] release/update question

Dag Wieers dag at centos.org
Tue Jun 2 15:16:07 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009, Radu-Cristian FOTESCU wrote:

>> For CentOS: Yes.
>
> But Karanbir says I seem "quite confused about what should and should not exist." How can you answer correctly to an incorrect question raised by an confused ignorant?
>
>> For Upstream: Ask Red Hat.
>
> I was hoping *you* (some of you are sysadmins at companies that also use RHEL, not just CentOS) are better suited to already know whether TUV has or has not implemented that schema.
>
> Sigh. Mailing lists. Back in 1996, Marc Ewing answered me personally to a hardware issue I had with RH 3.0.3, but in 2009 people prefer to twaddle and give non-answers. Sigh.

Hey Radu-Cristian,

Communication problems are usually caused by both sides. If both the
sender as well as the receiver are in the same context, communication is
without errors. Transferring context is usually where it fails :)

Anyhow, the CentOS project decided in the past that providing EUS
(z-channel) packages would add too much complexity for little gain and
that users that really need this functionality in their environment
probably are better off with support from Red Hat as well.

Besides the EUS source RPM packages are not released to the public, so you
need those expensive entitlements to be able to rebuild them. So it seems
a fair decision. (I am sure that if I am misrepresenting something, I wll
be corrected asap :-))

I can only assume that Johnny's response was before this decision was
taken. So nothing is contradicting, you just have old information and new
information.

Kind regards,