[CentOS] Harware vs Kernel RAID (was Re: External SATA enclosures: SiI3124 and CentOS 5?)

Chris Boyd cboyd at gizmopartners.com
Tue Jun 2 15:36:35 UTC 2009

On Jun 1, 2009, at 9:52 PM, Michael A. Peters wrote:

> I've read a lot of different reports that suggest at this point in
> time,
> kernel software raid is in most cases better than controller raid.

I manage systems with both.

I like hardware RAID controllers.  Yes, they do cost money up front,
but when you have a failure you can get a replacement drive, give it
to a low level tech, and say "Go to server A41, pull the drive with
the solid red light and plug this one in."  Then the controller will
take over, format the drive and put it back into service.

With software RAID, you have to have a sysadmin log in to the box and
do rootly things that require careful thought :-)

When these events are happening in the wee hours and there are other
possible human factors like fatigue or stress, the first scenario is
less risky and costly in the long run.

--Chris