[CentOS] how to debug random server reboots

Rudi Ahlers rudiahlers at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 21:46:39 UTC 2009

On 6/2/09, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
> on 6-2-2009 2:30 PM Rudi Ahlers spake the following:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> One of our CentOS 5.3 randomly reboots, at different times of the day,
>> and I can't see why it's doing it.
>>
>> I have looked through the logs, but don't see any thing in there that
>> shows me why it has rebooted. How can I debug this?
>>
>> Here's a snipped from the log, around the time of the reboot:
>>

> <snip>
> Random reboots can happen fast enough that nothing gets into the logs. You
> can
> try setting up a console and have the system post there. It sometimes
> catches
> things.
>
> But until then I would do the obvious... Make sure the system is clean and
> not
> overheating from "dust bunnies" filling up the chassis.
>
> Remove and re-seat all cards and ram. Make sure all fans are working. Run
> memtest overnight if possible. Look back to when the reboots started and see
> if something was added or upgraded.

Hi Scott, the server is in the USA, and I'm in ZA. I've been trying to
get the IDC to look into the problem, but they're not very helpful and
recon I need to check my software. I know the "server" runs desktop
hardware, so it could be a hardware problem, but they don't seem to
think so.

So, I'm trying todo everything I can, from my side, via SSH to see if
I can figure it out.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers