[CentOS] Harware vs Kernel RAID (was Re: External SATA enclosures: SiI3124 and CentOS 5?)

Chan Chung Hang Christopher christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Tue Jun 2 22:15:44 UTC 2009

> I've read a lot of different reports that suggest at this point in time,
> kernel software raid is in most cases better than controller raid.

Let me define 'most cases' for you. Linux software raid can perform
better or the same if you are using raid0/raid1/raid1+0 arrays. If you
are using raid5/6 arrays, the most disks are involved, the better
hardware raid (those with sufficient processing power and cache - a long
time ago software raid 5 beat the pants of hardware raid cards based on
Intel i960 chips) will perform.

I have already posted on this and there are links to performance tests
on this very subject. Let me look for the post.

> The basic argument seems to be that CPU's are fast enough now that the
> limitation on throughput is the drive itself, and that SATA resolved the
> bottleneck that PATA caused with kernel raid. The arguments then go on

Complete bollocks. The bottleneck is not the drives themselves as
whether it is SATA/PATA disk drive performance has not changed much
which is why 15k RPM disks are still king. The bottleneck is the bus be
it PCI-X or PCIe 16x/8x/4x or at least the latencies involved due to bus
traffic.

> to give numerous examples where a failing hardware raid controller
> CAUSED data loss, where a raid card died and an identical raid card had
> to be scrounged from eBay to even read the data on the drives, etc. -
> problems that apparently don't happen with kernel software raid.

Buy extra cards. Duh. Easy solution for what can be a very rare problem.