[CentOS] CentOS 5.3 SuperMicro x7sbi AHCI

Ron Lorah

dark at telux.org
Wed Jun 3 06:27:24 UTC 2009

Greetings,

Wondering if anyone could assist with this. I have many SuperMicro 5015B-MTB
servers. These all have the X7SBi Motherboards. After upgrading to
CentOS 5.3 the Hard
Drive LED's on some of the servers started blinking red(drive fail) but
all is functioning
normally. All servers are running raid 1 arrays with MDADM. Primary
drive does not blink,
but all others do including spares. These boards use the Intel ICH9R
chipset. AHCI is enabled.
When AHCI is disabled, drives stop blinking, but drives are then
detected as hda,hdb,etc. and
server takes a huge performance hit.

All Servers have Western Digital SATAII 320G RE2 Drives.

So far:
I have reloaded Kernels
Tried CentOS plus Kernels
Flashed the Bios
Replaced Backplane

The funny thing is, not all servers are affected. If anyone has any
ideas or could just point me in the right
direction, it would be extremely appreciated. It's an annoyance more
than anything else.

Thx,

~Ron