[CentOS] Can't play DVD movies on CentOS 5.3 after following guidance on the wiki

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Wed Jun 3 19:14:42 UTC 2009

On Wed, 3 Jun 2009 at 12:07pm, MHR wrote

> I like xine for most DVD playing - as long as it recognizes the DVD, I
> have no trouble with it at all.  It also has a feature that mplayer
> lacks - turning off the screen saver while the movie is playing (which
> also has its drawbacks...).

Erm, what?
$ man mplayer
.
.
        -stop-xscreensaver (X11 only)
               Turns off xscreensaver at startup and turns it on again on exit.
               If  your  screensaver supports neither the XSS nor XResetScreen-
               Saver API please use -heartbeat-cmd instead.

That being said, that flag didn't work for me with gnome-screensaver (it
works just fine with xscreensaver).  The referenced "heartbeat-cmd" flag
and the example included in the manpage works just fine, though.  Any of
those options can be included in one's ~/.mplayer/config file to be
automatically used during any mplayer session.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin