[CentOS] Can't play DVD movies on CentOS 5.3 after following guidance on the wiki

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 20:06:41 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 12:53 PM, Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 at duke.edu> wrote:

> What version of mplayer are you using (and from what repo)?  The CentOS
> version doesn't help too much, as mplayer isn't included in any of the
> default repos.  And this doesn't appear to be a very recent feature
> (googling reveals references to it that are over a year old).

You made me look, and I found that I was missing a couple of packages.
 I now have:

mplayer-fonts-1.1-3.0.rf.noarch
mplayerplug-in-3.55-1.el5.rf.x86_64
mplayer-skins-1.8-1.nodist.rf.noarch
mplayer-1.0-0.40.rc1try2.el5.rf.x86_64
mplayerplug-in-3.55-1.el5.rf.i386
mplayer-docs-1.0-0.40.rc1try2.el5.rf.x86_64

These are the most recent imports from rpmforge.

BUT:  I looked again, and the man page remains the same....  I even
checked the mplayer home site, and neither option is mentioned in
their documentation.

???

mhr