[CentOS] Random server reboot after update to CentOS 5.3

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Jun 3 22:22:28 UTC 2009

on 6-3-2009 11:30 AM Dave Jones spake the following:
>> Epilogue:
>
>> I've tried to disable TSO (ethtool -K eth0 tso off), as was suggested on
>> the poweredge list. This did not help.
>
>> I've configured the machine to start with the 5.2 kernel in
>> /boot/grub/grub.conf, changing the default. It has been running for 6
>> 1/2 days, now. I would say that this helped and is what I would suggest
>> to others experiencing the same problem, right now.
>
>> Thus, current running kernel is  2.6.18-92.1.10.el5xen.
>
>> Regards and thanks for all replies,
>
>> Peter
>
> I have booted the previous 5.2 kernel as well with my problem server
> and it has been stable for the past week too.  There is definitely
> something going on with this 5.3 Xen kernel on that hardware.  The CPU
> is a 3.0 GHz P4 with HT and no 64-bit support.  Kernel
> 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5xen seems to be the last stable one on my server
> that I am running now.

Did you ever try the newer kernel with hyperthreading off? It isn't really a
second processor, and doesn't add much to a server. I have an older server
with 2 HT zeon's, and it actually runs better with HT off. But that is 64 bit,
and might be different.