[CentOS] stock openjdk vs. epel

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 05:41:05 UTC 2009

Rex Dieter wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>> If you have the epel repo installed and enabled during a yum update, you
>> get java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0-1.0.b12.el5.2 instead of the stock .b09
>> version.  Is this intentional and desirable?  I thought epel generally
>> did not replace stock components with newer versions.
>
> EPEL doesn't replace rhel5 packages, true, and afaict,  openjdk isn't in
> rhel5.  Perhaps a centos addon/extra?
>
> -- Rex

That might have been true at one point in time but it isn't now.  On a
stock RHEL5.x you can say 'yum install java-1.6.0-openjdk' and you get a
copy that appears to be built from what you find here:
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/os/SRPMS/
and pretty much the same in CentOS - if you don't have epel enabled.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com