[CentOS] Good md5sum snapshot tool?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 22:17:35 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Sean Carolan <scarolan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a server that is undergoing some patching soon and would like
> to make note of any files that have changed after the patching is
> complete.  Can you recommend a tool that uses md5sum snapshots to do a
> quick before and after test, showing anything that's changed on a
> particular file system?

I use md5deep for that. http://md5deep.sourceforge.net/. aide is
useful for particular files oyu are going to keep track of over a long
time (doing daily checks etc).

md5deep/aide/etc will break if you have prelink turned on.. especially
if you are doing updates. prelink sort of moves around library
pointers in the binary which changes the checksums. rpm is smart
enough to deal with this and aide is getting that smarts.. but not
with the shipped version.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux