[CentOS] CentOS Digest, Vol 53, Issue 4

David McGuffey

davidmcguffey at verizon.net
Fri Jun 5 00:45:07 UTC 2009

> On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 8:52 AM, David McGuffey
> <davidmcguffey at verizon.net> wrote:
> > This is my first post here on the CentOS forums.? I've been running
> Fedora
> > since FC4, and have been working with RHEL 4 at work.? But this is
> my first
> > foray into CentOS.
> >
> > I followed the multimedia guidance on the wiki, and now have the
> ability to
> > view a lot of different video clips on the Internet, and have the
> ability to
> > listen to a variety of music files.? However, watching a DVD movie
> still
> > escapes me. I followed all the steps on the page in the wiki, and
> had no
> > errors in the output.
>
> DVD playing has been kind of an odd problem for me on my desktop
> computer using CentOS 5.3. No problem at all on my laptop. I like and
> use VLC, but it won't play DVDs on this particular computer -- I get a
> segmentation error. Nor will mPlayer or Totem work. Xine works fine,
> so I just use that. VLC works fine on my laptop. I've never had any
> luck with Totem.
>
> > When I put the DVD (Master and Commander in this case), into the
> drive,
> > totem automatically comes up and I get a warning that I don't have
> the
> > correct codec to play it.
>
> That's my experience. And there never seems to be any fix that
> actually works.
>
> > I killed totem and manually tried to start the DVD with mplayer.
> mplayer sat
> > there...not recognizing that there was a DVD in the drive.
>
> mPlayer, on my computer, recognizes the DVD, it just doesn't play it.
>
> > So...what final steps do I need to complete to get a commercial DVD
> movie to
> > play?
> >
> > machine is a Dell Latitude D830 with 2GB of ram and an Intel Core 2
> Duo.
>
> The first thing I would try is downloading and installing VLC. If that
> doesn't work, go for Xine.
>
> --
> RonB -- Using CentOS 5.3

Thanks...you are the second one to recommend xine.

I gave up on toten and mplayer and loaded xine.  It recognized the dvd
and played it...but it gives me an error/warning about dropping lots of
frames and jerks to a halt once every few seconds.  I'm working my way
through the xine FAQ concerning performance to see if I can fix that on
this laptop. The laptop is only about 18 mo old and not a dog.  It is an
Intel duo with 2GM of ram, and should have enough steam to play a dvd.
It plays them well under MS Vista, but jerky under Centos 5.3 and xine,
so it has to be a software issue.