[CentOS] Swap priorities with swapon (Is my swap drive working?)

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 12:15:34 UTC 2009

> It will kick in, regardless of priority.
>
> But probably someone will come up with a small c program which eats all
> available memory :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Ralph

I would be interested  in such a program if anyone has one or a mega
bash script that can achive the same?

> If your system starts to swap, it really needs more memory. Otherwise you're just fine. Swap is only a last resort.
>
> Don't worry about it.
>
> Glenn

Agreed however I am also setting up some virtual machines so physical
RAM expansion won't be an option but extra swap space will be.
Obviously the server won't be running constantly in the swap drive its
is simply a reserve for those "just in case" moments, obviously I plan
on designing the system to have plenty of physical RAM with swap as a
back up but we must be prepared so in such cases I need to test it
some how?

Thanks for the input guys its greatly appreciated; now to find a
memory chewing, number crunching, infinite loop beast!

James ;)