[CentOS] Question about dd (fill a hard disks' unused space with blanks)

Niki Kovacs

contact at kikinovak.net
Sun Jun 7 16:22:20 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm currently experimenting with G4U (Ghost for Unix), a small cloning
application sending disk images to an FTP server.

The application reads the whole disk bit by bit, compresses it and then
stores it remotely. Due to this approach, it's more or less
filesystem-independent. The drawback is that it sometimes results in
huge image files.

Now I'm currently following a hint which suggests to fill the disks'
unused space with zero bits. Here's the command for that:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/0bits bs=20M
# rm /0bits

Now I gave that a shot, but after half an hour or so, I got a bit
impatient. Now the computer does not respond any more. Does that mean
he's just way too busy with dd? Or is there some mistake in the command?
As I see it, it will just be chugging on and on, no? Shouldn't there be
a 'count=x' option somewhere?

Niki