[CentOS] RealTek 8168B (Rev 02) Issue

Tosh toshlinux at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 10:04:34 UTC 2009

Ben Mohilef wrote:
> The 8168B (02) NIC works well except that it does not go into promiscuous
> mode despite advertising itself in that mode after being so directed with
> ifconfig. Unfortunately, the little box is destined to be an IDS monitor, so that
> function is essential. The board is an Intel Atom  330 run as x86_64, the nic
> is internal.
I presume you are talking about a Atom 230 not a Atom 330, as on the an
original Intel board with an Atom 330, the D945GCLF2 you can just use
the r8169 driver, on the D945GCLF with an Atom 230 board you need a
r8101 driver

Intel D945GCLF2 (Atom 330)
* /etc/modprobe.conf
> alias scsi_hostadapter ata_piix
> alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
> options snd-card-0 index=0
> options snd-hda-intel index=0
> remove snd-hda-intel { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbi$
> alias eth0 r8169
* lspci output
> 01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)

Intel D945GCLF (Atom 230)
* /etc/modprobe.conf
> alias scsi_hostadapter ata_piix
> alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
> options snd-card-0 index=0
> options snd-hda-intel index=0
> remove snd-hda-intel { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbi$
> alias eth0 r8101
> alias eth1 pegasus
* lspci
> 01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)

> None solve the promiscuous problem (although they fix the funny
> dropped counter issue).
> [...]
> Anyone have any idea as how to make this chip do the promiscuous mode
> thing other than adding another nic card ?

If it is an original Intel board D945GCLF with the Atom 230, I suggest
downloading the driver from the Intel website
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=2916&DwnldID=16242&strOSs=39&OSFullName=Linux*&lang=eng
I compiled the driver manually (at the time elrepo didn't exist) from
the Intel website, it has been working fine, and I regularly check my
tcpdump, dmesg even states that it enter promiscuous mode and exits
> device eth0 entered promiscuous mode
> device eth0 left promiscuous mode
only thing I did that wasn't in the manual is manually delete the r8169
drivers of my kernel, I did have problem when I didn't do this

--
Toshaan <toshlinux at gmail.com> - http://www.toshaan.be