[CentOS] PAE or use 64-bit?

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 03:30:39 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 22:28, Robert Heller<heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:
>> Which would you recommend for a 4GB+ machine?
>> A 32-bit install with PAE-enabled kernel or just use 64-bit?
>
> If you are not doing anything that needs a 64-bit address space, then
> 32-bit w/PAE will work just fine.

Yes, but I would recommend you to go with 64-bit OS anyways.

Even though PAE might work reasonably well if you have 4GB or 6GB or
8GB and with your current applications, 64-bit will keep working well
when you need to upgrade your machine to 16GB or 32GB and run
additional applications or newer versions that need to address more
than 4GB per process.

HTH,
Filipe