[CentOS] Building a custom install CD

John Kennedy skebi69 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 07:42:38 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 11:13 PM, Fred Moyer <fred at redhotpenguin.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am looking for resources on how to build my own Centos install CD
> for a preselected package set that I want to install.  I think Red Hat
> may have had this functionality at some point but it has been a while
> since I have needed to do this.
>
> I found this on how to build my own kernel -
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/BuildingKernelModules  - which I will
> need to exercise as well, but I want to build my own .iso that I can
> run a kickstart or similar mechanism from.
>
> Thanks in advance.

http://nootech.wordpress.com/2007/12/11/build-a-custom-centos-5-install-cd/
http://people.redhat.com/rkeech/custom-distro.txt

I used these 2 sites to help me. It did take quite a bit of trial and error
to get it right.
Do not forget to edit comps.xml to take out the packages that you do not
want and add your new packages. (Why CentOS installs bluetooth packages by
default is well beyond me...)

Hope this helps
John

--
Did you know that it costs forty thousand dollars a year to house each
prisoner?...I don't think we should give free room and board to criminals. I