[CentOS] PPPoE/ADSL configuration questions.

Bill Campbell

centos at celestial.com
Tue Jun 9 21:59:34 UTC 2009

I am building a CentOS 5 box to ship to Houston which will be a
gateway system on an SBC DSL connection for a while until the
client gets a T1 installed.  I have read up on using adsl-setup
and related software, but never done PPPoE on anything but
LinkSys commodity boxes.  I have examined the adsl-setup script,
and I think I understand how this works, but want to be sure I
understand things first.

The box has dual 10/100/1000 NICs, eth0 for the internal LAN, and
eth1 for the PPPoE interface, and later the T1.

After running the adsl-setup script, answering the prompts, it
appears that it will create an ifcfg-ppp0 interface which will
take care of handling the eth1 interface.  It also should handle
default route setting when the system boots, and do the initial
setting of the /etc/resolv.conf file.  We will not be using the
adsl package firewalling/NAT as we have our own procedures for
this.

This seems reasonably straightforward, but I know Murphy is
always ready to pounce as soon as I assume anything.

Is adsl-setup and its associated programs the best way to handle
this on a CentOS box?

I think that the WAN interface will appear as ppp0 when the
system is running.

When we move the system to the T1, is it sufficient to edit the
ifcfg-ppp0 script setting ONBOOT=no, then do a normal
configuration of eth1 using system-config-network?  This is
something I will have to talk somebody through over the phone
unless it would work to connect the DSL modem and T1 router to a
network hub/switch with eth1 so that I could configure eth1 while
logged in via the DSL connection, the restart the networking to
have it bring down the DSL connection, then bring up the T1.

What am I forgetting?

Thanks.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

Lord, the money we do spend on Government and it's not one bit better
than the government we got for one third the money twenty years ago.
    Will Rogers