[CentOS] CentOS 5.3 cron / crontab missing?

Rudi Ahlers

rudiahlers at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 10:48:50 UTC 2009

Hi On 6/10/09, James Bensley <jwbensley at gmail.com>
Hi all,

I don't know what exactly is causing this, but I can't find cron /
crontab on my CentOS 5.3 machine.

Yes, I know, it's an obvious one, install it. But, it is, according to rpm:
[root at zaxen01 ~]# rpm -aq | grep cron
anacron-2.3-45.el5.centos
crontabs-1.10-8

I have tried yum update crontabs, and then it said there was no
updates. yum update all also said there's no updates.

Yet, when I run cron or crontab it doesn't work:

[root at zaxen01 ~]# crontab
-bash: crontab: command not found
[root at zaxen01 ~]# which cron
/usr/bin/which: no cron in
(/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/root/bin)
[root at zaxen01 ~]# which crontab
/usr/bin/which: no crontab in
(/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/root/bin)
[root at zaxen01 ~]# ll /etc/cron
cron.d/       cron.hourly/  crontab
cron.daily/   cron.monthly/ cron.weekly/

Am I missing something here?
Any pointers on this would be appreciated :)

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers
CEO, SoftDux Hosting
Web: http://www.SoftDux.com