[CentOS] Crontabs

Ian Blackwell ian at ikel.id.au
Wed Jun 10 10:55:54 UTC 2009

James Bensley wrote:
> The crontabs are like the following example;
>
> 30 20 * * * sh /home/a_user/nightlyscrips/nightly_script_1 >
> /home/a_user/nightlyscripts/`date +%d-%m-%Y--%H-%M-%S`.log

I'm a big fan of keeping the contents of crontab very simple.  The only
thing I like to see in crontab is the path to the script, and the script
does all the tricky stuff.  If the script isn't called, you know cron is
at fault.  If the script is called and failed, then you know the script
is broken.  I find it makes it easy to determine where the problem is by
making life very simple for cron.

Just my 2c worth :)

Ian