[CentOS] krb5kdc fails to start

Hugh E Cruickshank

hugh at forsoft.com
Wed Jun 10 23:51:15 UTC 2009

CentOS 4.7, Kerberos 1.3.4

Hi All:

This is driving bonkers. A couple of weeks ago I started working on
implementing Kerberos. I got as far as getting the primary/master KDC
running on our CentOS development system before I got dragged off to
work on something a little more pressing. I finally got back to it
this week only to find that the krb5kdc service now fails to start.
A check of the log files shows it has been working right up until
the system was rebooted Sunday night. The reboot itself was not the
problem as there had been previous reboots after which krb5kdc was
able to restart.

Here are the log entries for that latest retry:

  Jun 10 16:29:38 fisds0.forsoft.com krb5kdc[12490](info): setting up
  network...
  Jun 10 16:29:38 fisds0.forsoft.com krb5kdc[12490](info): setting up
  network...
  Jun 10 16:29:38 fisds0.forsoft.com krb5kdc[12490](info): skipping
  unrecognized local address family 17
  Jun 10 16:29:38 fisds0.forsoft.com krb5kdc[12490](info): skipping
  unrecognized local address family 17
  krb5kdc: Address already in use - Cannot bind server socket to port
  750 address 192.168.2.8
  krb5kdc: Address already in use - Cannot bind server socket to port
  750 address 192.168.2.8
  Jun 10 16:29:38 fisds0.forsoft.com krb5kdc[12490](info): set up 0
  sockets
  Jun 10 16:29:38 fisds0.forsoft.com krb5kdc[12490](info): set up 0
  sockets
  krb5kdc: no sockets set up?
  krb5kdc: no sockets set up?

The "unrecognized local address family 17" message were occurring even
when it worked so I do not thing they are significant to this problem.

As far as I am aware I have not made any changes to the system that
should affect this.

I have done a ton of Google searches but I have not turned up anything
that seem to help. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

TIA

Regards, Hugh

--