[CentOS] krb5kdc fails to start

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 13:12:40 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 01:23, Hugh E Cruickshank<hugh at forsoft.com> wrote:
> Give the man a cigar! rpc.statd strikes again.
> Now to figure out how to fix that.

In short term, this command should restart rpc.statd which will
probably bind to a different port:

# service nfslock restart

After that, you can restart krb5kdc and it should get its free port
(it might take some minutes if the port gets to the TIME_WAIT state).

In long term, you can add the following variable definition to
/etc/sysconfig/nfs (you will probably have to create this file):

STATD_PORT=2053

This will bind rpc.statd to a fixed port (2053 in my case).

I also used this file to fix all the other ports of NFS related daemons:

LOCKD_TCPPORT=2050
LOCKD_UDPPORT=2050
RQUOTAD_PORT=2051
MOUNTD_PORT=2052
STATD_PORT=2053
STATD_OUTGOING_PORT=2054

I started them at 2050 as nfsd itself will use 2049. That way I can
allow NFS traffic through the firewall by allowing ports 2049-2054 for
both TCP and UDP in both directions.

HTH,
Filipe