[CentOS] IPv6 range provisioning question

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 21:12:54 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 11:49, Vadtec<vadtec at vadtec.net> wrote:
> So can anyone offer any insight into this? See my reply at the bottom of the
> message.

I never used IPv6, so I don't know if that applies to IPv6 too or to IPv4 only.

In IPv4 it is possible to assign a whole range to a specific machine
by adding it as an alias to the loopback interface.

For instance, if I do:

ifconfig lo:0 192.168.99.32 netmask 255.255.255.224

Then the machine will answer to all the addresses from 192.168.99.32
to 192.168.99.63. If you use a range that is in the same subnet as the
IP you have in eth0, it will respond to ARP requests in that interface
as well, so it will do exactly what you want.

I don't know if and how that would work with IPv6, but maybe try doing
that, assigning a single IP with a proper network mask to an alias of
the loopback interface and see if that works as you expect.

HTH,
Filipe