[CentOS] Trouble (?) reformatting flash drive to include former U3 partition

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 17:43:17 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 8:25 AM, Robert
Nichols<rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net> wrote:

> If you go into fdisk's "expert" mode and set the geometry to
> 31 heads, 31 sectors/track, 16319 cylinders you can utilize
> the full 8029470208 bytes.

I was able to do that.

Then I went back and looked at my Kingston - it has 5 "heads," 32 s/t
and 99212 "cylinders."

Now the question becomes, if I try that on the Sandisk, will it trash
the drive altogether, or would I still be able to use it, or would
that fail because there really isn't that much space on the "drive?"

Yeah, I know, greedy me, I want squeeze every byte of storage out of
the thing, but why not?

Thanks.

mhr

PS: I'm also sending a query to Sandisk about this - I'll report if
they tell me anything useful.