[CentOS] which programming language for server-side admin tasks

Rudi Ahlers rudiahlers at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 18:54:00 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 8:31 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to spend some time learning a new coding language, but
> > specifically for server side admin stuff, i.e. setting up users /
> databases
> > / FTP accounts / virtual domains on Apache, etc.
> >
> > I already know PHP, but realize it's not quite suited for this kind of
> > admin, and I suppose I need to look @ PERL / Python / C++ / Ruby? /
> others?
> >
> > Can someone give me some pointers on this?
> >
> > I basically need to write a control panel, with web access for admins to
> > manage servers, similar to what cPanel / WebMin / Plesk / etc does right
> > now, but something more customized for our needs.
>
> I can't help thinking that you are just about to repeat all the security
> mistakes those other tools have spent years correcting and that you'd be
> much better off using one of the existing tools or making minor mods.
>
> Having said that, it's really about time for someone to tackle this in
> java - perhaps with most of the details in a backend LDAP database.
>
> --
>   Les Mikesell
>    lesmikesell at gmail.com

Hi Les, while I understand where you're coming from, I don't quite agree
with you. A programming language doesn't make security mistakes, the coder
does :)  What I'm looking for, is which programming language will be best,
i.e. fastest. My OS of choice would be CentOS, but even then that won't make
a difference either.

I can do most of this in PHP, but I do think PHP is a bit slow for this,
being a scripting language, and not a compiled language.

LDAP can / would but be one component of the whole thing, and I'm not very
fond of JAVA, since it's rather slow. Ideally I need something which could
interact with the OS layer directly

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers