[CentOS] which programming language for server-side admin tasks

Peter Hopfgartner peter.hopfgartner at r3-gis.com
Mon Jun 15 07:16:51 UTC 2009

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to spend some time learning a new coding language, but
> specifically for server side admin stuff, i.e. setting up users /
> databases / FTP accounts / virtual domains on Apache, etc.
>
> I already know PHP, but realize it's not quite suited for this kind of
> admin, and I suppose I need to look @ PERL / Python / C++ / Ruby? /
> others?
>
> Can someone give me some pointers on this?

Python has become quite common for sysadmin stuff. Indeed, a lot of
RedHat/Fedora (e.g. anaconda, the installer) and Ubuntu tools are really
Python scripts. The code is quite readable and usually, there are Python
bindings for almost every popular C library.

GUI can quickly be made with PyGTK or WxPython.

Programming language runtime performance is usually not an issue for
sysadmin tasks, since most of the time you r program will have to wait
for some disk I/O, a backup tape, etc.

> I basically need to write a control panel, with web access for admins
> to manage servers, similar to what cPanel / WebMin / Plesk / etc does
> right now, but something more customized for our needs.
>
> --
> Kind Regards
> Rudi Ahlers
> CEO, SoftDux Hosting