[CentOS] which programming language for server-side admin tasks

Gary Greene ggreene at minervanetworks.com
Mon Jun 15 17:09:29 UTC 2009

________________________________

	From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf Of Rudi Ahlers
	Sent: Sunday, June 14, 2009 11:54 AM
	To: CentOS mailing list
	Subject: Re: [CentOS] which programming language for server-side admin tasks

	On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 8:31 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

		Rudi Ahlers wrote:
		> Hi,
		>
		> I would like to spend some time learning a new coding language, but
		> specifically for server side admin stuff, i.e. setting up users / databases
		> / FTP accounts / virtual domains on Apache, etc.
		>
		> I already know PHP, but realize it's not quite suited for this kind of
		> admin, and I suppose I need to look @ PERL / Python / C++ / Ruby? / others?
		>
		> Can someone give me some pointers on this?
		>
		> I basically need to write a control panel, with web access for admins to
		> manage servers, similar to what cPanel / WebMin / Plesk / etc does right
		> now, but something more customized for our needs.

		I can't help thinking that you are just about to repeat all the security
		mistakes those other tools have spent years correcting and that you'd be
		much better off using one of the existing tools or making minor mods.

		Having said that, it's really about time for someone to tackle this in
		java - perhaps with most of the details in a backend LDAP database.

		--
		  Les Mikesell
		   lesmikesell at gmail.com

	Hi Les, while I understand where you're coming from, I don't quite agree with you. A programming language doesn't make security mistakes, the coder does :)  What I'm looking for, is which programming language will be best, i.e. fastest. My OS of choice would be CentOS, but even then that won't make a difference either.

	I can do most of this in PHP, but I do think PHP is a bit slow for this, being a scripting language, and not a compiled language.

	LDAP can / would but be one component of the whole thing, and I'm not very fond of JAVA, since it's rather slow. Ideally I need something which could interact with the OS layer directly

	--
	Kind Regards
	Rudi Ahlers

If you're looking for shear speed, C++. However if you're looking for ease of programming paradigm with OO ideas, etc, then Ruby or Python. If however you want a middle ground, go Perl. It is fairly fast (faster than Python and Ruby), and is fairly extensible for talking to the OS. Note however Perl's object framework leaves much to be desired from OO purists.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
IT Operations