[CentOS] which programming language for server-side admin tasks

Rudi Ahlers rudiahlers at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 17:39:38 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 5:13 PM, Karanbir Singh<mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> On 06/14/2009 07:00 PM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>> I would like to spend some time learning a new coding language, but
>> specifically for server side admin stuff, i.e. setting up users /
>> databases / FTP accounts / virtual domains on Apache, etc.
>
> If you are targetting CentOS and/or Linux only - doing this in anything
> other than python just does not make sense to me. Ruby, perhaps - but
> you will need to redo or atleast work with a lot of the underlaying systems.
>
> -KB
>
> PS: you still dont really seem to trim your replies, having bad mailing
> list etiquette after having been on the list for so long is odd.

CentOS would be my primary OS of choice, but I suppose it would be
good to make the code more portable, and accommodate other Linux
distro's, and probably OS's (probably only limited to the *nix family)
as well. Some of my friends prefer Debian.

Apart from the packaging, different paths to programs (Apache, MySQL,
Exim, etc), and init scripts, I don't think this would be too
difficult to accomplish. There are other differences I obviously need
to look out for as well, since configuration files on different
systems could be in different places,and sometimes even have different
layouts, but even this should be as simple as keeping a list of
options per distro being used.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers