[CentOS] which programming language for server-side admin tasks

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 18:14:16 UTC 2009

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> Thanx Gary, this is a quick analasys of what I'm looking for, and helps a lot :)
>
> I have done some PERL coding on websites before, but very little, yet
> it was very easy to pickup with my PHP skills.
>
> As a front-end, I would consider Ruby, and / or AJAX. Could these
> inteface well with PERL?

Apples and oranges...  Ajax is mostly javascript running on the browser
side and can work with any interactive web server, where ruby and perl
are scripting languages that work on the server side.  If you want
speed, you'd use mod_perl under apache or a standalone mongrel running ruby.

However, it is probably a lot easier if you want ajax to use one of the
server libraries that integrate things (Google Web Toolkit for java,
Yahoo! UI Library for php, Ruby-on-Rails) or at least a library like jquery.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com