[CentOS] which programming language for server-side admin tasks

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 19:15:14 UTC 2009

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 06/15/2009 06:09 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Would you expect ruby to be able to scale up to projects like OpenNMS,
>> Alfresco, or what Pentaho does?
>
> I would, easily. It all depends on what sort of resources you have at
> hand and what its going to cost you. atleast 4 of the top 10
> most-traffic websites out there right now rely quite heavily on ruby.

I meant scale in terms of program size and complexity.  You can hook a
web interface to a database in about any language and crank things
through as fast as the database can respond - especially if you
load-balance across a bunch of servers.  But how complicated can you
make something before you hit a wall with multiple developers clobbering
each other or becoming so version-dependent that you are afraid to
update anything?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com