[CentOS] which programming language for server-side admin tasks

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 19:30:59 UTC 2009

David G. Mackay wrote:

>>> Also, there are several engineers at Red Hat that are very unhappy with
>>> the impact that the 3.0 release is going to have on them.
>> Yes but it has been obvious for a long time that python does not
>> consider backwards compatibility to be important.  This shouldn't have
>> come as a surprise.  By comparison, perl has been around longer and
>
> Judging by some of the comments on the fedora-devel list, it did anyway.

Maybe some of those developers are young enough to not understand the
history.  Or to have learned from experience that it matters.

>> One other consideration is that perl probably has the current advantage
>> in terms of available code library modules.  Pretty much anything you
>> can imagine doing has already been done and contributed to CPAN so often
>> the code you have to write yourself is trivial with the modules doing
>> the bulk of the work.  Java may be catching up in this regard but I
>> don't think there is a central place to find available code.
>
> Google? ;)

How do you tell google to _not_ give you text matches that are really
not about downloadable code modules in the language you want this week?

> I guess the real question is how well java is going to prosper under
> Oracle's ownership.  Then again, with openjdk, it might not matter too
> much.

I don't think that can become much of an issue.  On the other hand, some
of the other interesting projects (glassfish, opengrok, etc.) might be
more likely to go away or change.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com